Friday, June 07, 2013

Coen Bros. Tribute Show


Title: The Seven Sins of Coen's Cinema
Size 16" x 16"
Medium: Acrylics on Board


Some of the most original characters (and dialogue) have come out of the Coen brother's movies. At the heart of each character is a strong motive that takes the movie plot in a direction you'd never imagine. You can almost break down all these basic characteristics into one driving force that pushes the movie forward. I attempted to break that idea down with seven sins and seven characters from the Coen bros. movie archive. It was a fun discussion to have, and there were a lot of characters to choose from. What I still can't figure out is who took the money from the safe in Blood Simple. Maybe someone can tell me tonight at the show while we drink White Russians. Hope to see you there. 



4 comments:

lucky18975 said...

Do you sell prints of your art?

lucky18975 said...

Do you sell prints of your art? I also love the Coen Bros. films.

Augie Pagan said...

lucky18975,

I don't have a sales page set up yet, but hopefully I'll get that going in the next couple of months. If you were interested in the Coen Bros print, there might be one available soon through the gallery. Check back soon....

OldBean said...

"At the heart of each character is a strong motive that takes the movie plot in a direction you'd never imagine."

I bet I can guess... a poor man tries to improve his standing in society. For this, he is punished severely. With a few exceptions, that's the basic plot of nearly all their movies.

It's that kind of thematic consistency over nearly 30 years that makes them, in my opinion, America's greatest living filmmakers.