Friday, February 01, 2013

The T. Commandments

Title: "The T. Commandments"
Size: 12" x 18" / 13" x 19" Framed
Medium: Acrylics on velvet  

Wrestlers on velvet. What else is there to say? LTD gallery's latest group show going on tonight. How can I NOT do a painting of Laurence Tureaud, a.k.a., Mr. T.

First time painting on velvet. Pretty challenging but super fun once you get the feel for it.

I didn't know much about Mr. T. prior to his days as a bouncer. Pretty interesting life to say the least. Give it a read when you get a chance. Also found some interesting things like this while doing research.  The best thing about doing this painting was hearing people's stories about meeting the man himself. Besides seeing him at San Diego Con, I've never met him personally, but all the stories I heard from people that have, are the same. Super nice guy, hands down. When you had a crazy life like his, why wouldn't you be.


Anyway, hope to see you all there tonight at the show. In closing I'll leave you with this Mr. T.quote:
"Never offer Mr. T coffee, because you wouldn't offer Mr. Coffee tea."



5 comments:

Megan Belcher said...

Holy SHIT! Well done, Aug! You know, the only doll I had as a kid was a MR T ACTION FIGURE!!!

Augie Pagan said...

Thanks Megs. Mr T action figure? No way. You were the coolest kid on the block.

Megan Belcher said...

OH FO SHO! I pity da fool who don't know dat!

Kim Perry said...

Beautiful painting. Wish I could see it in person. BTW, did you know he's on Twitter? @MrT.
My favorite one so far is: It's hard to fit so much pity into so few characters, but I'll try.

Augie Pagan said...

Thanks Kim! The "T" stands for Twitter? I'm all over that. Thanks or the heads up.